This is a complete guide on how to convert an HP printer to a sublimation printer with the help of affordable tools and minimal modification. Sublimation printers are a great piece of equipment that allows us to print our custom designs on various products and surfaces such as T-shirts, mugs, and even plates.
Dedicated sublimation printers are not cheap to come by which is why most people gravitate towards converting one of the cheaper alternatives to a sublimation powerhouse. You only need to know the correct process for how to convert an HP printer to a sublimation printer along with the right equipment such as the correct type of sublimation ink for an HP printer and you will be able to produce amazing products for your business and yourself.
Items Required to Convert HP Printer to Sublimation Printer
- HP inkjet Printer
- Sublimation Ink for HP Printer
- Sublimation Ink Tank
- Heat Press
- Heat Transfer Paper
- Heat Press Moulds (optional)
HP Printer to Sublimation Printer Process
Converting a regular HP printer is a pretty straightforward process and it is a much cheaper alternative than buying a brand-new sublimation printer. Follow the steps given below in their respective order to convert an ordinary HP printer into a sublimation printer.
- First, make certain that the HP printer you are using is working properly. Try to print an image and inspect for any possible issues.
- After a thorough inspection, remove the paper trays from the printer and drain the regular ink out of the ink cartridges. It is recommended to use a new printer if you can because mixing regular ink with sublimation ink can damage the printer’s nozzle.
- Flip the printer upside down for up to a minute to drain the ink from every crevice of the ink tank and make sure there is no ink left over before proceeding to the next step.
- Inject the right sublimation ink for the HP printer into the ink tank. The type of ink may vary depending on the model of your machine.
- Turn the printer on immediately after injecting the sublimation ink and initiate Power Cleaning.
- Install the paper tray and feed the sublimation paper through it.
- Print a design to test the color reproduction and accuracy of the printer.
- Inspect the print for any imperfections or undesirable results.
- If the initial print looks fine then you can start printing and producing sublimation products using your newly converted HP sublimation printer.
Make sure you are using genuine sublimation ink for the HP printers to avoid undesirable results or issues down the line. Converting your existing printer into a sublimation machine can save you a lot without compromising on quality.
If you do have epson printer and want to convert it into sublimation printer, then you can use our guide to convert your epson printer to sublimation printer.
This was our complete guide on how to convert an HP printer to a sublimation printer with minor modifications to get the most bang for your buck. If you have any additional questions about the conversion process such as how to find the right sublimation ink for an HP printer then reach out to us using the comment section below, we will be happy to help.